In March, Rebecca Vahle of the Adoption Perspectives radio show interviewed me. In the interview below, we discuss why “normal” parenting techniques don’t work with adopted and foster children. We went over things such as:
- why it’s okay to give a child attention when they’re acting out
- why people want us to parent differently, and why it doesn’t work
- why time-in is better than time-out
- where our children come from and why time-out is harmful
- why raising a traumatized child looks different than raising a biological child
Get out your iPod, iPhone, Android and listen in the car, while you’re doing laundry, or listen on the web:
Have you used time-out with your foster or adopted child? How did it work? Have you tried time-in? How did it work?
You can receive every post made to Lovin’ Adoptin’ by subscribing in the upper right corner. You can also follow me on Facebook and Twitter for more helpful information and links. Be sure to share with anyone who would benefit!